Saturday 18 December 2010

I admit it...I'm slacking off

I finally got through editing the 2nd-last chapter of SUNDOWN, and now I've just got the last (a little 1400 word number) to go. But instead of doing that, I'm going to go out shopping. I have to, for a number of reasons. One, I haven't yet had breakfast, and it's 11:59 am. Time to stop editing. Two, I have to buy a gift for the Secret Santa thing at work. Three, oh I don't know, does there really have to be a three?

Anyway...the last third or so of the book hasn't yielded much chop-worthy action, or maybe it's just that I'm getting too close to the story to recognise which parts could be hacked. I did go back to the start and realise my prologue sucks in a number of ways, and I can maybe even remove most of the first section of it. So that's something to give me hope for the next round of editing (which will be Revision #2, resulting in Draft #3, if anyone cares about the details). I am going to finish this 2nd revision, then take a break from this novel (after ordering my proof copy of course). I've seen that recommended in so many places - getting some distance so you can return with fresh eyes & have your merry destructive way with your story. And it's not like I'm short on other projects to work on!

So yeah, just thought I'd report on my progress, and add with a fair amount of GID that I will be done with this revision today. Helllll yes!

Current word count in Scrivener: 128,115.

Yes, way too long. But there is still the future.

6 comments:

  1. Have fun shopping!

    I definitely think it helps to take a break from the mansucript between bouts of revising. Otherwise, I know I can't see the forest for the proverbial trees. Good luck with your continued revisions and your new projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, and as I was saying to someone else I think it'll be interesting reading through my novel in proof copy form once I've received that. Hehe. I'm sure it'll help me find bits i should just chop out entirely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't edit on an empty stomach. Editing is just a grind anyway, isn't it? I'm getting ready to start on the first round of edits on a story after the holidays. It's nice to take a break from writing for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nice, because then you can get back into it with more excitement than ever! Hehe.

    I'm ready to order my CreateSpace proof copy for last year's NaNo (it's on its 2nd draft for now)...just waiting till they approve the format. Grr. But yeah, already chosen my next editing project!

    Good luck with your story editing after the hols! is it a long story or shortish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. NaNo novel, so 50,015 words, with a bit of the story to finish up. Ideally, I would probably have given it longer than a month to cool, but I have to get it ready for my crit group, so, work, work, work...

    And thanks for stopping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh, exciting! :D What is your deadline for having it ready? and are you planning on getting your entire edit done for critting, or just finishing the story at least?

    I'm meant to be working on this particular novel of mine for NaNoEdMo next year, and yet I've already been compelled to start on it. So...I guess I'll work on something else for EdMo :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!