Saturday 14 April 2012

A-Z ... THE MERMAID'S MIRROR




For the A-Z challenge of 2012, I'm posting an A-Z list of books I want to read, inspired by my GoodReads "to read" list (which is rather long). For my M book, I have chosen...



M


The Mermaid's Mirror - L.K. Madigan

Lena has lived her whole life near the beach – walking for miles up and down the shore and breathing the salty air, swimming in the cold water, and watching the surfers rule the waves – the problem is, she’s spent her whole life just watching. As her sixteenth birthday approaches, Lena vows she will no longer watch from the sand: she will learn to surf. But her father – a former surfer himself – refuses to allow her to take lessons. After a near drowning in his past, he can’t bear to let Lena take up the risky sport. Yet something lures Lena to the water ... an ancient, powerful magic. One morning Lena catches sight of this magic: a beautiful woman – with a silvery tail. Nothing will keep Lena from seeking the mermaid, not even the dangerous waves at Magic Crescent Cove. And soon ... what she sees in the mermaid’s mirror will change her life ...

Why do I want to read it? 
I've read one of L.K. Madigan's books before, and loved it. I've heard about her Mermaid book for ages but haven't read it yet. And I haven't read much about mermaids since MY SISTER SIF, something I read as a pre-teen. But I do love a mermaid story.

11 comments:

  1. I'll have to definitely check this one out, it sounds interesting - thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very awesome. My favourite mermaid story was the original version of The Little Mermaid, as illustrated by Arthur Rackham. It doesn't end the way the Disney movie ends...

    I am glad to meet you. I write for Australian Beading magazine and love it. I am from New York, but I am terribly proud of my connection to beautiful Australia.
    jean
    PS: I grew up in a family of divers. We lived right on the Atlantic ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean! That's one I have yet to read. My blogger friend Charlotte Jane Ivory read it a year or two back and her take on it made me add it to my TBR...but I have yet to buy a copy or read.

      Delete
  3. I'm rooting for the mermaids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a great mermaid book and I would like to read the Little Mermaid, original edition now too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had not heard of this one. Sounds like a good read. Speaking of which--my "to-read" list on GR is way too long, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this, but whever I see it I think how pretty the cover is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an engaging book. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do enjoy a good mermaid's tale, and the blurb for this one is intriguing!

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been meaning to read this book for some time now. I also enjoy a good mermaid story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was a kid (I guess I still sort of am. . .) and adults asked me what I wanted to be, I told them a mermaid. ;) I better read this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!